The program acts as a force multiplier, allowing our police officers to be more safely and effectively deployed while still addressing traffic enforcement.
Red-Light Safety Camera Locations
Two intersections will go live on April 9, 2019, with a 30 day warning period.
- East Platte Avenue @ Chelton Road (eastbound approach, through lanes and right turn)
- Briargate Boulevard @ Lexington Drive (westbound approach, all movements - left turn, through lanes and right turn)
Two additional intersections are anticipated to go live later this spring.
- Academy Boulevard @ North Carefree Circle (northbound approach)
- Academy Boulevard @ Dublin Boulevard (southbound approach)
30-Day Warning Period
As red light cameras at each intersection are implemented motorists will have a 30-day education and warning period for violations at that intersection. The registered owner of a vehicle may receive a notice by mail that a red-light running violation has occurred, but no fine will be issued for the first 30 days. After the 30-day warning period, violations confirmed by staff will be issued to the registered owner.
How Red-Light Safety Cameras Work
A red-light running violation occurs when a motorist ENTERS an intersection AFTER the traffic signal has turned red.
- The system activates when motion is detected just prior to the stop bar AFTER the traffic signal has turned red. The cameras capture two images of an alleged violation, taken from the rear of the vehicle.
- The first image shows the vehicle at the white stop bar and the illuminated red light.
- The second image shows the violator in the middle of the intersection with the red light illuminated.
- The license plate image is a close-up from one of the images captured.
- Data, including the time, date, and duration of the yellow and red lights, also is recorded.
- Cameras also record a 12-second digital video of the violation, including six seconds prior to and six seconds after running the red light.
Additional Driver Resources
Safe driving protects you and our community. Here are some tips for how to be a safe driver:
- Focus on Traffic Safety webpage
- Safe driving tips from the Colorado Department of Transportation
- How to drive safely in winter conditions from the National Highway Safety Administration
Distracted driving is a dangerous and growing concern for all communities. Learn more and commit to safer and distraction-free driving from www.distraction.gov