Dog owners should be aware that City Code requires all dogs be on a leash while in city parks and on city trails. The Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services Department does realize that dogs enjoy having areas where they can run and "burn off some steam," so we offer several off-leash areas. Please keep in mind that your dog must still be kept under control in off-leash areas.
Pet owners are required to clean up after their pet. All neighborhoodA geographic sub0area within the city that contains but is not limited to residential land uses. The extent of a neighborhood is variable and may be defined by tradition, organizational boundaries, the period of building and development, or subdivision patterns. Neighborhood boundaries may include such features as major streets or other physical elements. parks are equipped with "doggie-bag" dispensers and trash cans. Thanks for your assistance in keeping our parks clean and safe for all park patrons!
(These are large, unfenced areas where dogs are allowed off-leash if kept under control)
- Garden of the Gods Park: Area east of Rock Ledge Ranch & south of Gateway Rd.
- Red Rock Canyon Open Space: Designated Dog Loop trail areas south of main parking lot.
- Palmer Park: Yucca Flats
(Fenced areas where dogs are allowed off-leash if kept under control)
- Cheyenne Meadows Park (south portion): Native grass area off Charmwood Dr. and Canoe Creek Dr.
- Palmer Park: Old baseball field, .3 miles from Maizeland entrance
- Rampart Park: Just east of the baseball diamond.
Don't see the dog park you are looking for? It might be maintained by El Paso County Parks. Visit their website here.
Dog Park Rules
- Dogs must be accompanied by a person at least 16 years of age when inside the enclosure.
- Dogs must be on a leash until inside the enclosure.
- No more than three dogs per person.
- Dogs with a history of aggressive behavior must wear a muzzle.
- Owners are responsible and liable for the actions and behavior of their dogs at all times.
- Owners must pick up after their pets.
- Dogs must be properly inoculated, licensed, and not in breeding condition in order the use facilities.
- Pinch (prong) and spike collars must be removed prior to entering the enclosure. A basic flat buckle collar with license, rabies, and identification tags attached is recommended.