Colorado Springs Utilities and the City of Colorado Springs are partnering on infrastructure improvements on North Union Boulevard from Academy Boulevard to Woodmen Road. Utility infrastructure improvements and paving/resurfacing work begins Jan. 2, 2020 and continues through Fall 2020.
- The Vickers and Union intersection work will be completed by Friday. The intersection will be completely opened to commuters.
- Construction work will move to the intersection of Montebello and Union with intersection closures. Please follow detour signs and keep speed down in this area. Construction is still on schedule to be completed by the Fall.
Throughout this project, speeds on Union will be reduced to 35 mph with double fines posted.
Traffic and access will be restricted and delays should be expected during construction. Detour signs and flaggers' will be present to direct and maintain traffic routes. Access to individual properties will be available.
If possible, commuters are encouraged to take alternate routes outside of construction work. To help navigate your commute, download Waze, a crowd-sourced mobile traffic application.
Summary of Work
Colorado Springs Utilities Work
It has been determined, through condition assessment, that the water main is deteriorated and needs to be replaced. Planning efforts have determined that additional capacity is needed in this corridor.
- Total project cost: $6 million
- Total length of pipe being replaced: 10,484 lane feet of pipe
There will be some outages, as is common with water main replacement projects. These planned outages will be communicated to impacted customers 24/48 hours in advance.
City of Colorado Springs Work
Once utility work is complete, the City will begin work related to improvements under the 2C ballot initiative. Work will include:
- Pre-Overlay Pipe: Ensuring stormwater pipes under the roadway are stable
- Pre-Overlay: Concrete Curb, gutter, sidewalk, pedestrian ramps and median improvements as needed
- Overlay: The final phase of work is milling and paving the road
- Colorado Springs Utilities at 719-930-7528 or email email@example.com
- City Public Works at 719-385-5411 or email: City_Operations_and_Maintenance@coloradosprings.gov
Receive Text Notifications
Text “Union” to (719) 249-5702 to receive monthly text updates related to this project.