School Zone Safety Campaign
Main Safety Topics:
- School bus safety: when drivers see the Stop Sign Arm on a school bus, they must stop and let students cross
- Distracted driving: avoid cell phones or other distractions while driving, especially in school zones
- Crosswalk rules: pedestrians and drivers must pay attention to crossing guards
- Know your : become familiar with the school zones in your area and know the rules for dropping off and picking up students
- Enforcement and consequences: The Colorado Springs Police Department is dedicated to enforcing school zone safety laws year round
Please share any concerns with our Traffic Engineering Division by emailing email@example.com.
Action Steps You Can Take
Walking to School
- Walk to school with a group of kids and always have a responsible adult with you.
- Always walk on the sidewalk if one is available.
- If no sidewalk is available, walk facing the traffic.
- The safest place to cross is at a street corner or intersection.
- Before you step off the curb to cross the street, stop and look all ways to see if cars are coming.
- When no cars are coming, it is safe for you and an adult to cross. Look left-right-left as you do it, and hold the adult’s hand.
- Walk, don’t run. This gives time for drivers to see you before you enter the roadway. Running also makes you more likely to fall in the street.
- Don’t dart out in front of a parked car. The driver of the car will not be able to see you.
*Source SafeKids Worldwide
You can download and print this Back to School Safety flyer.