Follow these tips to avoid salting our waterways.
- Shovel as soon after the storm as possible. When heavy storms occur, consider removing snow halfway through the event so you are able to keep up with the snow.
- Remove as much snow as possible before using a deicing product.
- Remember that most deicing products work best at temperatures above 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Avoid over application. It only takes 3/4 of a coffee mug to treat an average size parking space.
- Sweep up any sand that was used as traction, and reuse it.